Spending time with your little ones in the Great Outdoors is wonderful—that is, until the mosquitoes come out to play. No parent wants to see their kids covered in itchy bug bites, but if you happen to be in an area where insect-related diseases are an issue, keeping bugs at bay becomes an important health concern.
This is why parents consider Best Mosquito Repellent For Baby or bug sprays a medicine cabinet must-have. But what’s the best bug spray for babies and kids? Here’s what to know about baby-safe bug spray, plus our top picks for mosquito repellent for babies and kids.
Do Babies Need Mosquito Repellent?
While you could argue that humans have existed for centuries without having mosquito repellent to spray around, it can be an important trick to have up your sleeve while trying to protect your baby.
Mosquito bites can be painful for babies, and they can swell up way more than the same bites usually do for adults. Some babies can get severe swelling and even bruise on the bitten area. A big local reaction frequently happens for babies. Signs of larger reactions to mosquito bites in babies can include:
- Large swollen area.
- Low fever.
- Enlargement of lymph nodes.
In addition to that, some children can end up with allergic reactions to the mosquito bites. But those aren’t the only dangers of mosquito bites on babies. They could also scratch the bite excessively, which can lead to a skin infection that will require medical attention.
Similar post like this
- Best Baby Soap for Eczema
- Best Child Safety Locks for Doors
- Best Flat Head Pillows for Newborn Babies
- Best Lotion for Baby Face
And, as everyone knows, mosquito bites can also carry a lot of diseases with them. Those diseases can be severe for babies. Some of the diseases found in the U.S. include the West Nile virus and encephalitis viruses.
8 Best Mosquito Repellent For Baby
Depending on where you live, there are risks of bug-borne illnesses like Lyme disease and Zika virus, which can be serious. According to the CDCTrusted Source, bugs are spreading more infections than ever in the United States.
There are a number of options when it comes to protecting your baby, including insect repellent. We’ve compiled some helpful info about bug repellents for babies, as well as our top favorites, to help keep your little explorer safe and comfortable outdoors.
As parents, it is our number one task to maintain our babes safe and out of harm’s way, however, that gets a bit tricky once the remedy itself presents some danger, also. Take your time finding a product you are familiar with using — it is well worth it. Listed below are 8 Best Mosquito Repellent For Baby we believe are well worth looking into.
Click to link below to jump to the relevant section
- 1 Lafe’s Baby Organic Insect Repellent
- 2 Babyganics Natural Bug Spray
- 3 California Baby Natural Bug Blend Bug Repellent Spray
- 4 Simba Natural Mosquito Repellent Sticker (16pcs) DEET-Free with Citronella and Lemon Extract
- 5 Badger – Anti-Bug Repellent Spray – 100% Natural and Certified Organic – 4 oz Aluminum Bottle
- 6 BugMace All Natural Mosquito & Insect Repellent Bug Spray
- 7 Quantum Health Buzz Away Extreme – DEET-free Insect Repellent, Essential Oil Bug Spray
- 8 Skedattle – Natural Bug Spray | Non-Toxic, Chemical-Free Insect Repellent with Lemongrass and Essential Oils
- 9 What is DEET?
- 10 Is DEET safe for babies?
- 11 What is Picaridin?
- 12 Baby Bug Spray Suggested Use
- 13 Which Bug Spray is Right for You?
Lafe’s Baby Organic Insect Repellent
- Lafe’s bug repellent is ideal for infants, children, and adults equally. Bug spray is certified organic by the USDA and can be citronella, DEET, and chemical-free.
- Lafe’s utilizes a unique combination of certified organic geranium and lavender essential oils to naturally repel insects that are nasty while maintaining your body safe from the damaging toxins and chemicals found in additional insect repellents.
- Lafe’s infant care products are odor-free and contain no harmful substances, so they are safe for even the most sensitive infant’s skin.
Babyganics Natural Bug Spray
- Eliminate what is buggin’ your infant. They are not gonna be an indoor infant forever. However, before you need to take care of the mean girls and bullies you can find pesky mosquitoes, gnats and flies. So you have got this organic DEET free insect repellent.
- The ability of organic key aromatic oils (Citronella, Peppermint, Rosemary, Lemongrass & Geranium) keeps infants free and safe.
- Our mix of essential oils is more resistant to insects, particularly mosquitoes smells good and are secure for the entire family. We have got the creepy critters covered. High school? That will be your choice.
California Baby Natural Bug Blend Bug Repellent Spray
- California Baby’s Natural Bug Repellent Spray is a baby-safe, natural solution to toxic DEET. The DEET-free formula comprises citronella, lemongrass, and cedar pure essential oils.
- These pure essential oils naturally repel pests like mosquitoes, fleas, ticks and biting flies with no noxious odor of additional insect sprays. California Baby Natural Bug Repellent Spray also soothes existing bites using herbs which care for the skin.
- The spray also includes a pump activity sprayer which could be secured by turning it into the other side, ideal for traveling and camping! This product won an award for” Best Skin Care for Baby” in the Eco-Excellence Awards at 2013. California Baby’s Natural Bug Repellent Spray is allergy tested and fermented, soy-free, oat-free, dairy-free and nut-free (except for citrus ).
Simba Natural Mosquito Repellent Sticker (16pcs) DEET-Free with Citronella and Lemon Extract
- This natural mosquito repellent won’t ever need to touch your child’s skin. So there will not be a concern in the world in regards to allergic responses.
- The organic Citronella and Lemon Extract gives off a light, refreshing scent while retaining undesirable bugs off. The activity of this decal will last up to two days.
Badger – Anti-Bug Repellent Spray – 100% Natural and Certified Organic – 4 oz Aluminum Bottle
- Great For the Skin. Poor for your Bug. Badger’s Anti-Bug Shake & Spray is an entirely natural & natural insect spray repellent. Utilizing pure essential oils to obviously keep insects, insects, and mosquitoes away from you and your loved ones.
- According to our popular and effective Anti-Bug Balm formulation, this natural Shake &Spray insect repellent normally repels insects together with the nice odor of Citronella, Rosemary, also Wintergreen essential oils. Badger Shake & Spray contains no DEET, oil products, or artificial substances, and was independently laboratory tested for efficiency – therefore it is safe and effective for the entire family!
- The sturdy, lightweight aluminum jar is readily recyclable.
BugMace All Natural Mosquito & Insect Repellent Bug Spray
- The Original Safari Power – Finest All Natural Mosquito Repellent Bug Spray – Powerful Organic Essential Oil Mosquito & Insect Repellent.
- BugMace is a natural, Pure natural * exotic combination of strong essential oils known to help repel mosquitoes, flies, gnats, ticks, biting flies, no-see-ums, chiggers, ants, and fleas.
- BugMace is your most powerful, most effective all-natural repellent and totally DEET free. Includes the perfect mix comprising certified organic essential oils extracted from India shown to ward off chronic flying and crawling pests & insects. BugMace is non-oily, dries in seconds and smells amazing! Additionally, BugMace all-natural mosquito repellent is ozone friendly and produced out of 100% recyclable materials.
- Packed with 21.75% ACTIVE INGREDIENTS: Lemongrass Oil, 6%; Citronella Oil, 4%; Soybean oil, 3%; Geranium Oil, 3%; Rosemary Oil, 2%; Cedarwood Oil, 1.25%; Clove Oil, 1.25%; Thyme Oil, 1.25%. SHAKE WELL before application.
- BugMace insect repellent is DEET FREE and an environmentally friendly green item. 100% safe for you, your loved ones, pet, and the surroundings.
Quantum Health Buzz Away Extreme – DEET-free Insect Repellent, Essential Oil Bug Spray
- Ultimately, a DEET-free insect spray that is powerful and produced out of botanical essential oils! Our family favorable Buzz Off Intense formulation was independently area tested and demonstrated as a successful, DEET-free choice for your loved ones. Laboratory research found that Buzz Away is equally as successful as many traditional DEET-based products. That is why Buzz Away Extreme is your major plant-based repellent.
- Why use harsh chemical solutions? Buzz Away Extreme is your family-friendly, yet effective alternative for warding off mosquitoes and ticks.
Skedattle – Natural Bug Spray | Non-Toxic, Chemical-Free Insect Repellent with Lemongrass and Essential Oils
- DEET-FREE, NATURAL BUG SPRAY – 100% All-Natural formulation without the harsh chemicals or synthetic fragrances. Skedattle is a secure alternative to potentially damaging insect repellent. We made sure our formula is ideal for sensitive skincare kids and your pets!
- HARNESS THE POWER OF ESSENTIAL OILS – Our lab-tested, a highly successful mix of citronella, lemongrass, peppermint, and vanillin safely repels pesky bugs also contains a fresh scent.
- REPELS MOSQUITOS, TICKS, and FLEAS – Independent laboratory testing reveals our Skedattle formulation to become 16 TIMES AS EFFECTIVE because of DEET insect repellents.
What is DEET?
According to Wikipedia, DEET is N, N-Diethyl-meta-toluamide, or diethyltoluamide, which is the most common and active ingredient in many insect repellents.
It is an oily slightly yellow product that is intended to be applied to the skin or to clothing to provide protection against mosquitoes, ticks, fleas, chiggers, leeches, and many other biting insects. It does not kill insects but truly repels them by bothering the neurons on their antennae and mouths.
Is DEET safe for babies?
According to experts at the American Academy of Pediatrics, DEET is safe for babies.
Some have speculated the potential dangers in using DEET but after much research, the conclusion is that DEET is indeed safe for babies—and everyone else in your family. I found some research that said that breathing in DEET can cause symptoms like breathing difficulty, burning eyes, headaches, and a few isolated incidents of seizures. Be sure to use it as directed and do not inhale this chemical at any time.
What is Picaridin?
Picaridin is new to the United States as of 2005. It is a synthetic created in the ‘80s by Bayer.
According to research, picaridin is nearly as effective—and safe for baby’s health—as the chemical DEET. It is odorless and non-greasy. Picaridin-based formulas are the best-selling bug repellents in other parts of the world, including Europe and Australia.
Baby Bug Spray Suggested Use
For newborns ages two months and younger, the Centers for Disease Control recommends avoiding products containing DEET and Picaridin. You can use physical barriers like mosquito netting for strollers, clothing, and natural bug sprays for babies (see our list of natural options).
For older babies and children, Seattle Children’s group (the same ones that gave us those scary side effect in the intro) recommends using DEET for baby’s skin and permethrin for clothing to provide the best protection.
Which Bug Spray is Right for You?
If you are like me, mosquitoes find me and my kiddos very easily. I also want to protect my little ones from painful and harmful bites.
Each parenting style is different. You may be a mom who would only choose an entirely natural product with essentials oils. Or, perhaps your family will travel to an area that is high-risk for getting bitten by a disease-carrying mosquito or Lyme disease-carrying tick and you must choose more complete coverage with products that contain DEET or Picaridin.
You also might be interested in a post like this
- Best Kids Outdoor Playhouse
- Best Fish Tanks for Kids and Toddlers
- Best Snowboards For Kids
- Best Baby Gift Ideas
Sadly, no insect repellent is completely and perfectly effective. But we have offered you a variety of the best bug spray for babies here, no matter your parenting style. Pick the one that makes sense for your family and go play in the great outdoors!
If you’re searching for the best mosquito repellent for babies, infants, and toddlers, and then you’ve come to the ideal place. This listing of these mosquito repellents in various kinds will be rather practical for you. These are great to be used on children of almost any age as they’re gentle and don’t include any harsh chemicals but are also really effective at keeping your kids safe from mosquitoes.
Therefore, take a look at our recommendations and select the mosquito repellent that’s excellent for your requirements. You are not going to need to be scared to go outdoors with your child during mosquito season ever again!